Chasing Meteors (Perseids)

Since last week I've been anticipating  the Perseid shower!
August nights-early mornings of 11-13

The ultimate peak was this weekend on Sunday morning with up to 70-150 meteors per hour!
With any sky gazing it all depends on visibility.
Unfortunately I knew it was going to be a cloudy night yesterday so I didn't bother looking outside. Doesn't help either from the haze of forest fires. Every time except for once when I want to go meteor hunting I always have a common cold. Without fail.

The one time I did not have a cold while meteor hunting was earlier this year I saw the Lyrids. Amazing!
I had near perfect visibility. It was still far off in the distance. But WOW. When people talk about moments that take their breathe away I would name that the second event and rightfully #2.
 Number #1 still remains being able to see Jupiter and it's moons through a telescope.

Anyways. It takes 20 minutes for your eyes to adjust to the dark to be able to see outer space. Lyrids are early spring and it dayum cold, since it was the middle of the night. I always dress for the occasion...5 layers. 2 heavy duty coats and 3 other layers and 2 blankets. It was terribly cold. I was out patiently waiting and listening to music for about 45 minutes. It was expected facing East was optimum conditions and I was about to give up because I only counted 13 meteors.  When I got up to leave I rolled south east accidentally to get up and boom! Perfect timing and everything I was able to see it.

After that I lost count how many I saw. Think the peak ranges were 30-45 meteors per hour. I really want to see the Perseid one. These are better than any firework display I've ever seen. This is from a person who grew up seeing fireworks in Oakland bay where the fireworks reflect in the water and you can also look across the bay and see more going on San Francisco's side.

I fear tonight might be another cloudy one but not as bad as yesterday. Maybe a small chance for an opening to see part of a spectacular meteor shower. North East is the optimal position for tonight.



Perseid with caution!


Image Credit: Nasa 2011 Perseid shower


Here's a little more info as well!

https://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/this-weeks-sky-at-a-glance-august-10-18/

https://www.space.com/32868-perseid-meteor-shower-guide.html


























































0 comments:

Post a Comment