Just Grab Reference

Drawing from imagination has its perks and limitations.

Don't make it hard on yourself. Work smarter not harder as they say. An ongoing Work In Progress.

Even if something is drawn from imagination at times it  needs elements to ground it to reality. Like if one draws hands or feet without proper anatomy or structure even if it is an alien. Hands, Face and feet are things that a non-artist can pick up that something is off or not anatomically correct and can immediately tell that something is not quite right. 

I was fiddling with the character's hands for like 15 minutes or more before I just stopped and took reference photos of my own hands. And bam! Tada!  Less than 3 minutes that part of
the sketch was done!


Usually I'll take more than one just to explore my options. 
With #1 I liked what the fingers had a natural relaxed expression and with #2 and #3 I can see the sides of the hands better. 

When you struggle with a specific part of a drawing it just best to stop what you are doing take a break and go take or find a reference photo of your subject to help better your understanding of what you want to draw.

Reference is not a crutch to a good drawing, but it can be if you let it.
Another topic for another time is do not be a slave to your reference and copy it to a T. Makes your drawing stiff and totally looks like you just used reference. 
I brought the images into photoshop.
Used the [L] lasso tool hit
[V] for the move tool to drop
the reference directly onto my drawing without cross referencing multiple tabs

 I have 3 cameras. 
A Sony DSC-H300 the one on the left
Panasonic Lumix FZ100 on the right. I like how this one has a screen that tilts like a camcorder. 
and another Panasonic cybershot in a drawer somewhere.  

Nothing fancy is needed. You can even use a phone or a tablet device. 
Cameras are so cheap now in days. That Sony camera was only $85.
A table top easel I got a long time ago. It is usually somewhere on my desk. 
I used this to shoot my reference.













With this drawing I haven't decided if I want to commit to this angle or the other one. With the hands and the head I need to take a reference photo .
That rounded scribble on the right is supposed to be this giant cat monster. 

























Happy Easter Y'all!
:]
 












































0 comments:

Post a Comment