Bananas



Anyone else upset about the 120k duct taped banana? I sure am. This further muddles the world of Fine Art and Abstract art. Earlier this week Maurizio Cattelan duct taped a banana to the wall at the Miami Art Basel that sold for 120k. Someone later ate the said banana and called that performance art.

Man if only I can get a prestigious art grant and showcase my work in a prestigious gallery/museum super glue a $100 bill on the ground and name it Frustration.

I've been wanting to share one of my run-ins with abstract art. In art school critiquing an abstract artist's work was a total minefield. Anything you say will cause an explosive response. If you said anything one was attacking their very being.

Colors can evoke emotions. People feel a certain way when exposed to certain colors due to color psychology. One of my opinions with art is I think it severely detracts from the artwork when one has to explain what the subject and intention is.

I somewhat remember a piece was called "Melancholy" and it was painted in bright colors, like orange and such. Unfortunately I had to open my mouth to provide critique for a grade.
I suggested something along the lines of using a cool color palette. Just a suggestion, something to think about. Boy was I ripped to shreds. If I didn't know the title of the piece my interpretation was not what the artist wanted me to feel. There are certain laws and rules that exist, like primary colors is the base of practically all color.  And you cannot control what people feel, you can help guide the spectator there.

Melancholy...having the blues. Er not having the oranges. Or mix some blue with that orange, but that would create some brown... The fact that orange Melancholy had to be explained, detracted ones interpretation of what that piece meant.

I do respect some Abstract artists like Rothko and Jackson Pollack with what they were doing.  Frustrating how in the era of becoming viral people resort to provocative quick gimmicks for money and fame. Or the umpteth Rothko ripoff. 

 Then again this whole banana thing if from the guy who steals a golden toilet and sets it up as an installation and then proceeds to sell it. The fact the installation was called "Comedian," seems like a taunt and instigation.

On both sides I like to have an academic discussion about art, in my experience people on the Abstract side aren't so open minded and tend to be more defensive.

The Concept/Fine Artist Karla Ortiz has a good articulate response to the duct taped banana  Instagram Post Link





























0 comments:

Post a Comment