Inspiration-Kingsmen- Blade of the Immortal- #SaveConstantine

I saw Kingsmen: The Secret Service this past weekend.
It is bomb. Napalm Bomb.
I really like stylized fighting as a genre in film and video games.
It doesn't have melancholic drama, long chase sequences nobody cares about like in the newer James Bond films. (It took me 2 times to finish this movie. I shouldn't have)

 I think Kingsmen is brilliant, humor with well choreographed stylized fight scenes. The story is based off a comic and I have to say it seemed great from being based off of a comic.

In Kingsmen I was ready to bawl my eyes out with the scene with JB.

Honestly I think it is revolting sometimes the movies and t.v shows that get air time for being dull unoriginal and predictable. Too many rehashes of material. I have no shame I'll feign my own sickness than to be taken to a lame movie.

Also I have this uncanny ability to predict movies and certain television shows how what will happen next and most likely the ending. I've been able to do it since I've been a kid.

For kicks I used to annoy my ex-roomate so much because I despised the book movies she liked and the dull cinema being watched. I would mouth off lines the actor would say seconds before being said despite never having seen the movie.



#SaveConstantine

I'm still hopeful. 

Who doesn't have a t.v crush on Matt Ryan? and his portrayal of Constantine?


I didn't get to all the topics I wanted to get in June.
It was the first time I put up my idea guideline online.
I apologize.
Alas, don't panic I'll loop back and mention these topics sooner or later.


 Certain social media treads like to highlight and I'm slow to adapt as an old whipper snapper for awhile #TBH and #tbth I would get confused and its the same abbreviations. I'd be like its tuesday why tbh time? Throw Back Thursday and the To be Honest. To be honest it is annoying,
That's a bad excuse of hands and kodachi swords. And the feet! Oh man thanks for everyone for believing in me at this point. I really don't see how she is standing up straight!

Blade of the Immortal


Until the point of sophomore year in high school I was always that kid that drew anime in shojo style.
The turning point was spring break that year when procrastinating on a art class project I stumbled upon the manga Blade of the Immortal by Hiroaki Samura.

 Andrew Loomis books are like the best art instructional books out there. Brilliant in explaining concepts and very informative and interesting text to read.

The impact of BOTI did to me was the actual pursuit of academic art. To seriously study anatomy and not just draw anime. I started really getting into Andrew Loomis, George Bridgman studies, taking my high school art assignments more seriously. There is a lot of different art forms I like to do but this really made the impact of just focusing on drawing and painting.


Blade of the Immortal is about an ex-samurai named Manji whom after killing his corrupted shogun fleed. While escaping in self-defense killed off 100 lawful men while these men were innocent pursued him. Somewhere between he met this old woman named Yaobikuni who gave him the kessen-chu(blood worms) which made Manji immortal. Even if his limbs get cut off he cannot die he regenerates as long as he reattaches his limbs he is fine.

 After he slayed the 100th innocent man he didn't realize who it was until he looped off his head. After that incident he gave up the sword for realizing everything he had done and killing 100 innocent men for him to escape made him think about never killing again. But then upon unfortunate circumstances he is forced to take his blades up again.

The other main character Rin Asano used to be a normal girl whose parents ran a dojo. Until one night the Ittu-ryu headed by Anotsu Kagehisa attacked the dojo and killed Rin's parents in front of her. Sparing her because she was a child. Despite having no fighting skills nor talents Rin wants to kill Anotsu herself. Even though he is a skilled swordsman who wields a heavy axe with ease. With the odds stacked against Rin who will never in her life time attain the skills to defeat Anotsu a prodigy...who contunues to improve his fighting skills.The old woman Yaobikuni (her name means 800) who supplied Manji with the kessen-chu suggests to Rin to hire Manji as a bodyguard.

Manji, reluctant at first to Rin's ridiculous revenge plot. Due to some events that change his mind and Rin who Manji starts to see as a reflection of his younger dead sister Manji then decides to slay a 1,000 evil men in hopes of atoning for the 100 innocent he had slain. This is a story of about revenge and I believe human compassion. At first one thinks Anotsu is terribly evil for what he had done to the Asanos but prior to the story the Anotsu family was wronged by the Asano family generations before. Thus creating a vicious cycle of revenge of who really is right despite other perspectives.






Before we get started let me mention this.


The fight scenes, foreshortened figures, the finishing moves, Samura's use of storytelling through gestures, the ugh >__> Decapitation, Some of the inked panels and the graphite renders where exquisite.
And the flipbook style fight scenes is another highlight.
The ending was a tad bit rushed but worth the years of enjoyment and impact in my life.

Manji has 12 weapons on him that he took from fallen opponents, When you actually piss him off he'll use all 12 of them in his finishing move. Even the main antagonists are likable. Anotsu isn't just evil. The characters are interesting. Like the most powerful character in the manga has a low self-esteem thus she rarely fights and does not think anything of her natural fighting abilities. Also there are many modern shonen artists that rip off Samura. What a shame. An imitation is an imitation at times. 
























In watching and reading material that is awesome it inspires me to attempt to make something awesome. It took some time to find a gallery of some of my old work! That I did when I was 15-16ish at attempts to blend anime and some realism. I'm glad to see improvement that'll stink 8 years later to see work like that.

Last post in June. I thought yesterday was the last day of the month until I looked at my phone.
As always see you next month in July.




0 comments:

Post a Comment