Analytical Model I&II

I

I also was hired again to be a artist model. A few weeks ago on Saturday and yesterday. Normally I draw from models but one of the other artists in the group back in January requested I sit and be the model.


It also has been a strange week. Having gotten sick again for over working myself followed by an allergy attack which feels just as terrible. With all this going on I was hired for an odd art consulting/ photo manipulating job with a person of an eccentric personality. Making this business relationship and arrangement longer than it had to be. Might as well been attacked by a cougar baby. 


Most of the members of the group were fascinated by my skin and features which are not that common. My mother was a native of the Philippines who came to the States around my age with my African-American father who was in the military. At some points it felt like being mobbed by aunts. Oh look I never noticed you have a small nose, ears, etc. Eh sometimes I wish I was taller or bigger. I always blame my Filipino mother for that.

One of the strangest aspects of this was I'm used to being on the other side of the canvas not on the canvas. Or the second time around I felt like a spectator a bench warmer. I wanted to draw the people around me and be a part of it. Kind of ironic in middle school when there was un-even teams with basketball the PE teacher did not mind if I sat out. I was so bad he preferred I sit out.

II

Now as an artist I see things. Observe them. Everything has meaning. Not like in the A&E tv show Hoarder's way. A lot can be told in one's gesture, posture, mannerisms, facial features. One of my favorite things that reveals alot about a person is their hands. They tell a story on their own. For instance there was this person who almost all the times I saw him had small cuts on his fingers or wore band-aids. Now I wasn't exactly sure what they were from but I made up a fictitious story about that. What caused these incisions? Tiny gears? Why and how?

Or another instance when I used to work at a restaurant there was a semi-regular customer who one day I noticed had a trace of oil paint on his hands and fingernails. I asked him if he was an artist. This freaked him out. He did not have any obvious ques he was an artist nor mention anything of the sort. He panicked and looked at me as if I was a psycho stalker freak and quickly left.

Well the next time I saw him I explained how I knew he was an artist was he had paint on his hands like mine when I work traditionally. After that he somewhat respected me more and did not just judge me as a fast food worker. He gave me his business card and terrible directions to a gallery he sits in on the weekends. I have yet to find it. With my terrible sense of direction.

The point is while I observe my surroundings as an artist other artists do that as well. A sketch hunter. It's like being in a room full of ninjas. Everyone is a ninja. Deadly. Almost nothing goes unnoticed. Practically every ninja can do a back flip. What makes their back flip unique from everyone elses?

My friend Elizabeth Jose's photos and painting. These 2.



                                                                            John

                                                                      Ginny

George Chacon

Giovanna Papponetti

0 comments:

Post a Comment